Matzo ball soup

I first had matzo ball soup at Canter's Deli in Los Angeles.  I was taken there by a Jewish friend to as she put it "pop my matzo cherry".  Charmed I'm sure.

The soup was freaking delicious.  Chicken soup with a big doughy kind of noodle thing in the middle?  Yes please!  More please!

There was a time that I thought I might birth a matzo ball given that was all I could eat while pregnant for a few weeks.  I used to make it using store bought mix, but it was way too salty for me.  I've blended a few various recipes from around the web to create a version for home.  Sans the mix.  I don't claim this is authentic or anything like that.  But even if you're a gentile like me, I'm guessing this is something you'd enjoy.

Matzo ball soup
-3 carrots
-2 stalks of celery
-half onion
-parsley (maybe 2 tsp)
-sage (a pinch)
-salt & pepper to taste
-olive oil
-a shit ton of garlic
-chicken (optional)
-stock (try homemade in the crockpot)
-ice water
-1 cup matzo meal
-4 eggs, slightly beaten

In a mixing bowl, slightly beat 4 eggs, salt, and pepper.

Add the matzo meal.  Then the ice water and olive oil.  Stir to combine.  Refrigerate overnight, or at least 2 hours.
A few hours before serving, sautee your onion, celery, and carrots in copious amounts of olive oil and a little stock. I love my dutch oven for this, but any pot will work.  If you're adding chicken, cook it in the pot at this point. Saute until veggies are softened.
Add copious amounts of minced garlic.  Mix.
Add the broth, parsley, sage, and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Then bring to a boil.
Take the matzo meal out of the fridge, and form balls (snicker) with the dough.  Plop in to the boiling soup, cover, and let cook for 30 minutes.  Then turn the burner off, but keep the lid on for another 10 minutes.


Serve at least one ball per bowl.  But it's much funnier to serve two.  If you're new here, just a FYI - I'm 12.

Labels: ,