Sign up to receive my posts in your inbox. Daily fart jokes abound!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Why organic food isn't just for the wealthy

People assume that you have to spend a lot of money to eat healthy, and that eating quality food will break your bank.

Not so my friends, not so!  One of the goals of this blog is to demonstrate that healthy and traditional foods can be purchased on a strict budget.  How do I know?  I do it every damn week/month!  Today's receipe is a frittata that uses all organic foods (some local) and is a whopping $.41 per serving.  You read that right; don't adjust your monitors - $.41.Per.Serving.

 Fritattas are one of my favorite go-to weeknight meals because they come together super quickly and are almost a complete meal.  Using one dish.  Definitely my kind of thing!  It's basically a quiche, or "egg pie" without having to mess with making a crust.  The cost breakdown is below.

You'll need:
-6 eggs
-2 potatoes, thinly sliced
-chives (fresh or dried) - 2 tsp
-lemon pepper - 1/4 tsp
-dill (fresh or dried) - just a dash
-a shit ton of fresh garlic
-salt & pepper to taste
-1/2 cup of half & half, milk, or cream
-spinach or kale (or greens of choice)
-meat (optional).  I used diced ham leftover from Easter.  Thanks mom & dad!
-olive oil
-2-3 slices of cheese

1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2) In a cast iron or other oven-proof pan, heat a few tblsp of olive oil and add your sliced potatoes.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Stir for a few minutes until they're a bit softer.
*Have a busted and nasty old cast iron pan at home?  Try refinishing it using my tutorial here.  New available here, but Goodwill and other thrift stores usually have lots of old cast iron for sale!

3) Add a plethora of minced garlic, and a handful of your favorite greens.  Stir until the greens are wilted a bit.  Add your meat here if you're using it.  And if it is already cooked!

4) In a medium bowl, whisk your 6 eggs, milk, dill, chives, and lemon pepper.  Add to the pan.
5) Top with cheese.  I used cheddar and a little bit of feta to this one.  I think smoked gouda would be amazeballs on this.
6)  Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the eggs are solid.
7) To me, this dish is a complete meal because it has veggies, protein, and a little bit of meat.  I always go simple and simply serve with a side of fruit.
Troy is always stokked to come home and find this for dinner.  He makes "yummy sounds" while eating all 3 of his pieces of it.

Let's run the numbers.  Keep in mind this required me to do math and convert things using the metric system.  It's probably not 100% correct, but it is an accurate representation.
6 eggs - $2 (I buy local eggs from pastured chickens.  $4 for 12)
2 organic potatoes - $.33 ($2.49 for the bag and there were 16 potatoes in the bag.
1/2 cup of raw local milk $.21 ($3.50 per half gallon)
Cheese - $.25 (this is a guess)
Olive oil - $.34 (half gallon of organic olive oil from Costco is about $11)
Spinach - free (from my garden)
Spices - $.10 (probably over estimating)
Garlic - free, but at the most, $.33 for a head of the stuff

*I didn't include the cost of meat in this, because in all honesty this dish doesn't need it.  The ham I used in the photos above were leftovers from Easter.

If you use the prices above and take in to account the measurements from the recipe above, you're at $.418 per serving.  This dish made 8 servings, so enough for 2 people and 1 toddler at dinner, and 2 lunches for the next day. 

Still think that local, healthy, organic foods are just for the wealthy?  And hipsters too I guess.  Had I served this with a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon while wearing huge Top Gun 80's glasses without lenses, then I would say yes - this is a hipster meal.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, it does sound yummy! My 20 year old son got me hooked on your blog and I love it and check it out all of the time! Great job, thanks for always sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you son might be my only male reader (according to Google stats). LOL

      Tell him thanks for reading and for passing along my info!

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! I need to add this to my weeknight meal plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as I'm concerned... it looks like a great meal! Now, if I can convince my husband that an egg dish can be served for dinner, I'll be in business!
    http://thisthatandtheother-justjenn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you sell it as "egg pizza"? ;-D

      Delete
  4. I have fallen in LOVE with your blog! Our family began eating nonprocessed foods about a year and a half ago because I was appalled at the ingredients listed on packaging. We had always heard that eating healthy meant paying MORE for groceries. Ummm....NOT TRUE! That's why I LOVE your blog! You're out to prove it to be the same if not CHEAPER to eat healthy! We have not spent any extra at the grocery store (actually we sometimes spend LESS) than we did before. We don't eat as much meat as we used to eat, but we're okay with that. We go for several meatless dinners throughout the month (I'm a lucky wife for having a husband who's okay without meat at dinner!). Our garden has grown a bit each year and I love Farmer's Markets. Unfortunately the closest "good" one is an hour away and with gas prices....well....we just don't make it there as often as we'd like. Anyway--enough rambling-I just wanted to let you know that you're doing a great job and I LOVE your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that is so nice. Thank you!

      I'm so encouraged by your words of finding a cheaper/healthier route! I think it intimidates people because it seems overwhelming to start cooking from scratch. Once you get started, it takes less and less time.

      We're like you with the meat. I treat meat as an accompaniment to a meal - rarely the focus of the meal. Except of course the occasional "Troy made" burger. Yum!

      Delete
  5. I am going to try this too. My husband isn't normally one on "baked" egg stuff, but I told him he might like it even though it kind of looks like quiche in a way. I have been trying to get my family to eat healthier and trying different things. Came across your blog on Pinterest and now I subscribe to your emails too. You always have such great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are my new favorite blog! I love your sense of humor and the fact that we seem to have the same taste buds. Also, I work customer service at a wonderful grocery co-op, and when customers bitch about our prices, i always want to say... "if i can shop here making $8/hr, you can afford to shop here too!" There's really no alternative. Either we pay what our good, healthy food is worth, or the environment and our health pays when our money goes to 'conventional' foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, Lacy! It's either pay for quality food, or pay the doctor later! ;)

      Also, I'm curious about the grocery co-op you mentioned. We are trying to get one open in our town.

      p.s. I am Sarah's aunt. :)

      Delete
    2. Awwww, thank you!

      How cool that you work at a co-op! I love that you get to be surrounded by awesome food and people all the time.

      I wish you could say that and get away with it. I think it's an eye opener for some people!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Where do you find fresh milk for 3.50 per half gallon??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made this for dinner AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I love your blog! New follower! This frittata looks great, I'm expecting twins any day now! I'm frugal but I need to be super frugal!
    Thanks for your awesome affordable recipes! Carly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this last night and it was awesome!! Thanks for the recipe and keep them coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your frittata looks so yummy! I must agree with you that you don’t have to be rich to be able to eat healthy food. There are many ways you can maintain an organic food diet. One is growing these right at your own backyard.

    Hope Wallace

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me more excited than Jessie Spano on caffeine pills!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...